Committed To Your Legal Rights
Chicago, Illinois 60603
By Steve Mills | Tribune reporter
A man who spent two decades in prison for a double murder even though he was in custody when the slayings occurred filed a federal lawsuit Monday alleging that Chicago police coerced a confession from him and then manufactured evidence once they learned he could not have committed the murders.
Daniel Taylor, who was exonerated and released from prison last June, sued the City of Chicago and eight police detectives and officers for their role in his arrest and conviction.
Taylor, then 17, was among eight young men arrested for the 1992 murders of Jeffrey Lassiter and Sharon Haugabook. All eight confessed and implicated each other in their confessions.
February 11, 2014, By Meredith Rodriguez, Tribune reporter
The wife of a legally blind Palatine man killed last summer by a condominium trash compactor as he searched for a cellphone filed suit Tuesday, alleging that the building manager and homeowner’s association failed to ensure his safety.
Roger Mirro, 56, was killed July 30 by a trash compactor in the basement of his condominium in the 200 block of South Clubhouse Drive while searching for a cellphone that he believed he had accidentally thrown away.
According to the lawsuit filed in Cook County Circuit Court against Willow Creek No. 6 Association and Hillcrest Property Management, Inc., a homeowner’s association board member gave Mirro a key to the dumpster room but didn’t offer any further assistance.
February 13, 2014 (CHICAGO) (WLS) — The I-Team has learned that a Chicago-based railway has new legal problems in Canada.
Victims of a fiery derailment are suing the Ottawa government for allowing MMA Railway to transport explosive freight, even though the Chicago company had the worst safety record in North America.
The Canadian class action lawsuit alleges that Chicago-based MMA Railway had been in at least 129 accidents in Canada since 2003, making it the worst freight train offender on the continent. The suit was filed on behalf of 47 people who were killed in the latest derailment last July and those who were injured. The suit claims that Canadian transportation officials knew about MMA’s repeated safety violations but did little to correct them.
Jury sides with family of Arlington Heights man killed in 2009
February 21, 2014, By Sally Ho, Tribune reporter
More than four years after John Bruce took a fatal fall at a military base in Kuwait, a Cook County jury has awarded the family of the Arlington Heights man $6.65 million in a wrongful death lawsuit.
Jurors in the civil case reached their decision against government contractor CAV International Inc. on Feb. 14 after a 10-day trial, according to court documents and the Bruce family lawyer, Tim Cavanagh.
“CAV claimed this wasn’t their fault, and a jury of 12 found their employee made a mistake that cost John this horrible brain injury and ultimately his death,” Cavanagh said.
Former senior counsel said he was fired after reporting alleged misconduct by university president, officials
By Jodi S. Cohen, Tribune reporter
A Cook County jury has awarded a former Chicago State University employee $2.5 million in damages and back pay after deciding he was fired in retaliation for reporting alleged misconduct by the university president and other top officials. A judge could further increase that amount at a hearing next month.
It may be the first verdict stemming from a whistleblower claim filed under the state’s ethics act, a 2003 law that laid out guidelines for behavior by state employees, according to the Illinois attorney general’s office. That law includes whistleblower protection for employees who disclose activities they believe violate the ethics act.
“We’re not aware of another judgment like this,” Attorney General spokeswoman Natalie Bauer said.
By Ruth Manuel-Logan
Webster Lucas was given only one napkin when he purchased a meal at a Pacoima, Calif., McDonald’s restaurant. When he went back to the counter asking for more, his request reportedly resulted in not only a napkin refusal by the eatery’s manager but a racist retort as well. Now the man is suing the franchise for emotional distress and asking for $1.5 million, according to TMZ.
The napkin debacle took place Jan. 29. Lucas ordered a Quarter Pounder meal and was given just one napkin. The restaurant’s manager, Angel, reportedly a Mexican-American, allegedly told Lucas that he had already given him a napkin and refused to dole out any more. Upon hearing that he could not receive additional napkins, Lucas mentioned that he should have taken his business elsewhere, stating, “I should have went to eat at the Jack-in-the-Box because I didn’t come here to argue over napkins. I came here to eat.”
Lucas, who is African-American, alleges that after he made his displeasure known, the napkin feud took an ugly turn; he claims to have heard the manager make a racist comment, stating something to the effect of “you people.”
Man Sues McDonalds for $1.5 Million Over One Napkin
Cook County Sherriff Tom Dart responds to a lawsuit that describes a ‘sadistic culture’ at Cook County jails.
By Jason Meisner and Steve Schmadeke Tribune reporters
10:07 p.m. CST, February 27, 2014
Despite more than three decades of litigation and oversight by federal judges, Cook County Jail remains a “civic embarrassment” where violence is so pervasive that correctional officers take inmates on “elevator rides” –code for beatings out of view of security cameras, said lawyers who filed a proposed class-action lawsuit Thursday.
The lawsuit by the MacArthur Justice Center at Northwestern University decried a “culture of lawlessness” at two of the jail’s maximum-security divisions, backing up the claim with sworn statements from nearly 90 inmates, some of whom alleged they were beaten by officers using handcuffs as brass knuckles.
One inmate who alleged he was beaten and pepper-sprayed by officers wrote in his statement that a high-ranking jail official told him, “Where does the Constitution say we’re not supposed to be beating?”
Associated Press 02/22/2014 11:54:51 AM PST
NEW YORK (AP) — A federal lawsuit filed in New York charges that Sony Music Entertainment cheated “American Idol” contestants including Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood out of at least $10 million in royalties.
The lawsuit was filed Thursday by 19 Recordings, a music company founded by “Idol” creator Simon Fuller.
The lawsuit says 19 discovered the royalty issue from two separate audits of Sony’s records.
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – The data is scary: Nearly half of water faucets sampled across the United States tested positive for the bacteria that causes Legionnaires’ disease.
While the study was small — researchers only sampled 67 public and private water sources such as kitchen sinks and drinking fountains – it’s the first one to chart the presence of the potentially deadly bacteria in water taps.
According to the EPA, the organization that conducted the research, 32 taps contained the bacteria, and 11 of those contained it in multiple samples.